Communicable Disease Program
Purpose: To prevent and control the spread of infectious disease.
There are over 60 infectious diseases in the State of Illinois which must be reported to the Local Health Department. If a resident of Woodford County sees a physician or is in the hospital, and is diagnosed with one of those diseases, it must be reported to the Woodford County Health Department. Nursing staff will then follow-up with those individuals.
This investigation process involves the following activities:
Investigation & Surveillance
- taking a history and determining contacts of potential exposure, both for catching the disease and spreading the disease
- notifying any contacts of their potential exposure
- instruct infected individuals and their contacts of symptoms to watch for, and when they should notify physician
- administer antidotes if available
- encourage proper medical care, provide information for treatment as needed
- make referrals for care as needed
- send written reports to the State